SUMMARY OF EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS:
A financial, sales and claims oriented insurance professional with an MBA degree and Risk Management professional designation:
- Forty eight years of a very diversified business experience, but mainly with a Maritime and Transportation specialty focus.
- Emphasized both commercial and personal lines sales and underwriting expertise, staff development, risk analysis, loss prevention, program design and implementation, contract management, and then finally claims case management with heavy emphasis on ADR negotiation skills.
- Experienced with an extensive group of Independent Adjusters, Surveyors and Attorneys.
- Developed skills in closing sales, marketing, risk analysis, underwriting, negotiations, staff training, focus on good listening, communications, interpersonal relationships and team building.
- Recent retirement affords me flexibility to serve you as Mediator, Arbitrator or Expert Witness focusing on both general and Maritime litigation.
2002 - 2017 MARKEL CORPORATION,
(Richmond, Virginia) Executive Marine Claims Examiner
- Handled property and casualty claims for Ocean Marine book of E&S insurance emanating throughout the entire country.
- Adjusted Global Ocean and Inland Marine claims for various exposures relating to Commercial Property, Business Interruption, Hull and P&I for blue and brown water, Builder's Risk, Heavy Equipment, Docks, Dealer Inventory, Wharfinger's Legal Liability, Stevedore's Legal Liability, International Ocean Cargo, Comprehensive General Liability, Marina Operators Legal Liability, Ship Repairer's Legal Liability, Motor Truck Cargo Legal Liability, Truck Physical Damage and Liability, Warehouse Legal Liability, Fine Art, Furrier and Jewelers' Block.
1992 - 2002 J. D. JONES & ASSOCIATES,
(Richmond, Virginia) Owner & Agency Principal
- Created a new owned Nationwide Insurance Agency and built it into a profitable business.
Sold my growing business after eleven years.
- Served as a trusted adviser regarding a broad range of security needs for client's families as
well as business financial protection for medium to large sized commercial accounts.
- Reported and coordinated claims for clients and facilitated problem resolution as needed.
1990 - 1992 BURROWS & WATSON, INCORPORATED,
(Norfolk, Virginia) VP - Marketing
- Responsible for greatly expanding prospective insurance brokerage client base of mainly marine related commercial clients through my individual effort and coordinated marketing plans.
- Achieved record new commission growth of 19% in a tough pricing and a well established market.
1988 - 1990 INDUSTRIAL INSURANCE MANAGEMENT CORPORATION, (Richmond, Virginia - serving MD, VA, NC, SC, GA & MS) VP - Risk Management Consulting & Marketing
- Major focus on solicitation of new clients on retainer basis. Became their top sales producer for this multi-state consulting firm. Built strong relationships for consistent client retention.
- Methodically marketed client insurance plans for premium savings and negotiated claims. Clients included large airports, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel system, Cousteau Society & Museum, dredging companies, shipyards and various manufacturing and retail sales operations.
1985 - 1988 MAXUS ENERGY / DIAMOND SHAMROCK CORP,
(Dallas, Texas) Risk Management
- Managed sophisticated insurance and other risk transfer programs for Property, Casualty, Marine & Aviation and Oil/Gas Exploration risks.
- Experienced in exposures of oil & gas exploration and production, refining and marketing, coal mining, large corporate aircraft fleet, integrated tug and barge fleet for ocean transportation, chemicals and bio-agriculture research.
- Developed a comprehensive insurance program for a large subsidiary, which was spun off in an IPO. Provided consulting services for one year and provided training for staff.
- Coordinated extensive litigation support and management for attempt at a global structured settlement between multiple insurers and class actions relating to Agent Orange and Dioxin product liability and pollution exposures.
1978 - 1985 NEWPORT NEWS SHIPBUILDING & DRYDOCK CO,
(Newport News, VA) Risk Mgr.
- Planned and directed risk management and insurance department for the shipyard (Virginia's then largest employer) and eight subsidiaries.
- Experienced extensive manufacturing and transit exposures for wide range of materials and services.
- Designed specialized policies with Department of the Navy, domestic markets and Lloyd's of London.
- Consolidated existing coverage plans that provided a $4.8 Million and partially reoccurring savings.
- Planned and implemented a major property claim - loss prevention and engineering recommendation program to reduce losses and costs.
1971 - 1978 TRAVELERS INSURANCE COMPANY,
(Hartford, Ct) Sr. Ocean Marine Underwriter
- Underwrote marine exposures including ships, builder's risk, tugs/barges, yachts, marinas, shipyards and sundry international cargoes.
- Provided coverage consultation to our marine claim department and coordinated joint education and training sessions.
1970 - 1971 MOBIL OIL CORP,
(New York, New York) U.S. Merchant Marine Deck Officer
- Third Mate - United States Coast Guard License - Any Tonnage - Any Ocean.
- Responsible for all watch standing duties, including ocean and coastal navigation, cargo handling and stowage, claims and loss prevention, safety, crew training and shipboard business administration.
1967 - 1973 Additional Ship Related Experience:
- As a Midshipman at the United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY, sailed one full year as junior officer in training for Lykes Lines, Gulf Oil, Exxon, Gulf & Western SS Lines gaining practical experience employed for Mobil Oil noted above.
- Traveled between 19 countries while in the Merchant Marine and engaged in cargo activities in over 75 ports during this period.
- Served three years in the U.S. Naval Reserve including Active Duty Training, attaining the rank of Lieutenant.
References pertinent to your area of interest will be provided upon request.
Associate in Risk Management - 1981 - INSURANCE INSTITUTE OF AMERICA
Masters in Business Administration - 1976 - UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT
Bachelor of Science - 1970 - U. S. MERCHANT MARINE ACADEMY, Kings Point, NY
Married 45 years to Tricia and we have three grown children.
Very active in church, Boy Scouts of America (both sons achieved Eagle rank).
Also active in several areas of community volunteer service.
Copyright © Society of Maritime Arbitrators, Inc. 2017.