Century Shipping USA, Inc.
President - January 1, 2003 to Present
Marine Consultancy, Arbitration and Mediation
Adjunct Professor of Commercial Shipping at United States Merchant Marine Academy
Lecturer of International Shipping at Global Marine & Transportation School (“GMATS” )
Mc Quilling Brokerage Partners, Inc - Garden City, New York.
Partner - 1987 to 2003
Initiated the Marine Projects Department to develop large scale, long term shipping projects to include ship finance, sale & purchase and cargo contracts of affreightment
Century Shipping, Inc - New York, New York.
President & CEO - 1980 to 1987
Century Shipping was engaged as consultants for international vessel management, vessel operations, disponent ownership, and ship & cargo brokerage. Century was particularly successful in bulk carrier, tanker and OBO operations in the commercial and PL480 grain trades. Depending on the international freight market conditions, Century employed up to twenty (20) professional staff and managed/operated as many as fifty (50) vessels at any given time. Clients included:
- Mc Quilling Brokerage Partners Inc. - New York
- Managed large scale shipping projects for this major international tanker chartering firm
- E.D.&F. Mann - London
- Acted as exclusive chartering agents for this company, one of the world's leading sugar, coffee & cocoa merchants.
- Marc Rich & Co. International - Zug, Switzerland
- Acted as exclusive chartering agents for this major international commodity trading merchant involved in the grain, coal, ore, scrap, steel, concentrates, cement, aluminum, bauxite, fertilizer and other commodities.
- Alpine Bulk Transport Co. Inc. - Monrovia, Liberia
- Acted as managers and chartering brokers for this time chartered vessel owner/operator active in the international dry bulk trades.
Innovated many new profit areas for clients, including arranging new construction contracts supported by full payout charter contracts. Also originated one of the first private placement offerings for Capesize OBO's. Further, supervised a highly profitable ocean freight futures trading operation .
Mercantile & Marine Inc. - New York
President & CEO - 1975 to 1980
Functioned as exclusive managers, agents, and chartering brokers for the Gulf Shipping Group of companies, as well as for other foreign principals engaged in ocean transportation .
Also served concurrently as President of Mercantile & Marine, Texas and President of Mercantile & Marine California, a marine terminal operation . This was a highly profitable adjunct, which I originated. Additionally I served as president of Gulf Ocean Lines and Gulf West Africa Lines, both breakbulk liner services.
Evans International Trading Co. - Portland, Oregon
Vice President - 1971 to 1975
The parent New York Stock Exchange company, Evans Products Co., was a major
International forest products merchant. I established Evans International Trading Co.
to engage in international shipping activities. I held total P&L responsibility, managed
a staff of fifteen (15) professional shipping managers, handled all marine activities, including
chartering and management of non USA flag vessels for outside clients. Further provided
complete chartering and marine transportation services to the parent company.
Bunge Corporation - New York
Vice President & Chartering Manager - 1962 to 1971
Started as a trainee, learned the business and earned a series of promotions to Vice President of one of the world's largest international grain trading merchants
Grace Lines - New York
Deck Officer at Sea - 1960 to 1962
Served as licensed Deck Officer on general cargo & passenger USA flag vessels
United States Navy
Line Officer at Sea - 1959 to 1960
Served aboard submarines & destroyers
Marine Industry Affiliations:
- Tradigrain Inc. - International grain merchants
- Kirkpatrick International Inc. - Aviation industry service & supply vendors
- Bahama Cement Company - Bulk cement producers & merchants
- Global Marine & Transportation School (AGMATS@) - Director
- Society of Maritime Arbitrators - Director / Treasurer
- Maritime Law Association - Non Lawyer Member
- Society of Naval Architects & Marine Engineers - Member
- Association of Ship Brokers & Agents - Member
- International Marine Consultancy - Member
- Connecticut Maritime Association - Member
- American Merchant Marine Museum - Director/Treasurer
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy Alumni Assoc. - Past National President
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy Foundation - Past Chairman
- U.S. Naval Institute - Member
- Marine Society of New York City - Member
- U.S. Maritime Resource Center - President
City College of New York
Graduate courses in International Trade - 1963 to 1965
United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, N.Y.
B.S. Marine Transportation - 1959
USMMA Outstanding Professional Achievement Award - 1979
USMMA Outstanding Meritorious Service Award - 1984
Kings Pointer of the Year Award - 1994
USMMA Distinguished Service Award - 2009
U.S Merchant Marine Deck Officer of Steam & Motor Vessels
of any gross tons on any oceans
a) Who's Who in U.S. Finance - 1990
b) Who's Who in Finance & Industry - 1984
Nantucket Hospital - Member of the Board of Incorporators