Ship Manager, Naval Architect, Marine Engineer, Graduate of USMMA (Kings Point). Expertise in commercial ship operations, maintenance and repair, design, construction, cargo systems/operations, and vessel regulatory compliance; President, Aereon Marine, Inc. & Horizon Naval Architects, Inc., Licensed professional engineer (U.S.), chartered engineer (U.K.). Shipboard engineer (3 years), Vessel Operations (20 years), ABS (23 years), bulk carriers, container ships, tankers, LNG, tugs/barges, passenger ships, ro/ro, and large yachts.
Member: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (Vice President), Royal Institute of Naval Architects (Fellow), Institute of Marine Engineering, Science &Technology (Fellow), Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Fellow), Maritime Law Association of the US (Member, Non-Proctor), Surveyor of Ships (UK REG, Cayman Islands), Commander, USN (Retired)
Available for arbitration and mediation appointments.
Available for hearings in NYC.
Mailing Address: 1516 Corkery Court, Winter Springs, FL 32708-4374
Telephone: (954) 727-3570
Fax: (954) 252-2543
Michael T. Monahan
2004 – Present: Aereon Marine, Inc. / Horizon Naval Architects, Inc., Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
- Vessel Management
- Vessel Regulatory Compliance Consulting
- Safety/Security/Environmental Auditing
- Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering Services
- New Construction Supervision
- Yacht and Ship Surveys
1981 – 2004: American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) Various Locations
- Last Assignment:
Responsible for the assignment of Surveyors to Ship and Drilling Rig Surveys in South Florida, and the Caribbean.
Provide technical advice to other Surveyors and clients.
Lead Ship and Drilling Rig Surveys, ISM / ISO 9001 / ISPS Audits.
- Significant Previous Assignments / Achievements:
Extensive Project Manager and Surveyor experience in new construction projects, Korea and Japan, six(6) years.
Secretary / Alternate Chairman, International Association of Classification Societies (IACS), Working Party on Surveys, Reporting and Certification, two(2) years.
Corporate responsibility for the professional training program of 1100 engineers/surveyors, two(2) years.
Implemented first company-wide worksite safety program.
1979 – 1980: Agtek International, Inc. New Canaan, CT, USA
Manager, Engineering Services
- Responsible for the maintenance and repair program, fleet of eight(8) ships.
- Responsible for the purchasing program, fleet of eight(8) ships.
- Evaluation for hiring and retention of ships’ engineers.
1977 – 1979: Navieras de Puerto Rico Elizabeth, NJ, USA
Supervisor, Engineering Services
- Responsible for New Construction and Major Alterations Program for an ocean shipping company with 12 container ships.
Responsible for the administration of the company’s container crane maintenance and repair program.
1976 – 1977: Navieras de Puerto Rico Elizabeth, NJ, USA
Marine Operations Assistant
- Vessel scheduling, boarding agent, and assisting the Vessel Operations Manager as directed.
1973 – 1976: Various US Flag Shipping Companies
Engineer (Unlimited Horsepower, Steam & Diesel)
- In-charge of shipboard engineering watch section
Recent Professional Papers
International Congress of Maritime Arbitrators XIX, Hong Kong, April 2015
Seaworthiness – A Case Study Ğ Vessels in Tow
- Vice President, The Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Fellow, The Royal Institution of Naval Architects
- Fellow, Institute of Marine Engineering, Science & Technology
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Member, Society of Maritime Arbitrators (New York)
- Supporting Member, London Maritime Arbitrators Association
- Member (Non Proctor), Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Surveyor of Ships, UK REG, Cayman Islands
- Commander, US Navy, Retired
Registered Professional Engineer (Naval Architect / Marine Engineer)
New York State License Number: 018068
Florida State License Number: 70322
I am registered by examination.
Chartered Engineer, United Kingdom
United States Merchant Marine Academy, B.S., Marine Engineering, 1973
Robert Gordon University (UK), PgCert, Arbitration, 2011
Adjunction Training Courses: Numerous including: Certified Welding Inspector, NDT Level II (RT, UT, MT, and PT), LNG STCW Course, ISO 9001 Lead Auditor Course, ISO 14001 Lead Auditor Course, ISM Lead Auditor Course, ISPS Lead Auditor Course, ABS Management Development Program (2 years), Tonnage Admeasurer Course, USCG-ABS Stability Test Training Course.